Monday, December 19, 2011

2011 Christmas Break Reading list


image via LibraryThings.com

Whether Christmas Break is the perfect time to catch up on some reading or you need to give that nerdy book lover a gift, here is what I recommending this year:

The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins
When it comes to reading I will admit I can sometimes be snobby about it. Twilight, for example, I judge it harshly. I can watch the movie and enjoy myself because I love movies, almost all movies, but reading Twilight was hard for me. Maybe it is because the story is not new for me. Buffy loved Angel long before Bella fell in love with Edward. One of my besties, who just happens to be a huge Twilight fan, recommended The Hunger Games. "UUGHH- not another Twilighty book that everyone will be wildly crazed about," I judgmentally pondered. But I gave it a chance and....
I am on board the Crazy Hunger Games Train! TOOT TOOT!
Sooo. The whole premise of these books is quite HARSH and morbid when you think about it. The government forcing Kids to fight to the death for sport on t.v. in an effort to prevent rebellion. EEK. I wanted to hate it. I wanted to judge the literary fun out of it! I read it in two days. The second one in one day. When I had to stop for dinner plans in the middle of the second book I was thinking about that silly Katniss girl the whole evening and wondering how in the world she would survive.


Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me by Mindy Kaling
She is a fave on the Office and it is not surprising she has written a funny and smart book that has stories and memories that will resonate with most women.


BossyPants- Tina Fey
Finally find out how she got that scar!


Shanghai Girls- Lisa See
Historical Fiction delight. Sometimes my love for historical fiction keeps me in a Jewish WWII or a pre-Civil War slavery world and it was nice to have a new adventure following two sisters in China and L.A. during the 1930's.

No comments:

Post a Comment